Tue Jan 26
“Eternal Life:  Blog Review Jan2010”

Friends, hello: Every once in a while someone blogs on one of my books. Curiously the latest is on my oldest (from2004) Eternal Life And How To Enjoy It.  The site is the author’s cafe at ‘kickoffyourheels’, the writer unknown (so far). In response to the reviewer’s points let me say this:  Eternal Life is a description of a number of out of body experiences had by me during the winter of 1998/99; about 70% of the material was recalled by me and the other 30% supplied at my request by ‘Henry’, in the mode we call ‘channeling’. Some of the obe’s felt more like lucid dreams but eventually you give up trying to tell the difference.

In the sequel, More Adventures In Eternity, ‘Henry’ slowly but surely takes a back seat and lets me direct my own consciousness explorations and expansions.  ‘Henry’, I should add, is a ‘real’ dead person, though I suspect he took pains to hide his real identity, as he did not want verification searches, by me or anyone else, to obscure the real quest of the enterprise, to paint as complete a picture of afterlife societies and their purposes as possible, rather than prove a certain dead person’s identity.  This picture is extended in the sequel, with more detail given re the afterlives of homosexual men, as the reviewer mentioned. I might add, it was, and is, difficult to encompass all of afterlife societies, as they are as stratified and complex as any society here, and there are many different ‘planes’ upon which many separate communities exist without knowing about each other. There’s lots I still haven’t written about. Even my newest, the novel An American In Heaven, doesn’t capture it all, but it does catch something about astral plane college towns and the recently dead young people who live and study there. So thanks to the unnamed reviewer for all their kind words, and for prompting me to do this blog.

Gordon Phinn writes such a wonderful, moving tale in the pages of Eternal Life. As Gordon goes nightly to visit our guide Henry, the two of them together channel a description of heaven that anyone can enjoy. Now, I have no idea if it truly is channeled material. Part of me says, well it must be; while another part says oh come on you idiot. Either way, channeled truth or fantasy from the mind of a talented writer, Eternal Life describes a place I’d be more than happy to spend my forever living in. Eternal Life deals with a variety of issues; alcoholism, addictions, sex – with surprisingly no mention of homosexuality beyond the gay couple who’ve just joined the choir in a small town where Henry talks to two dead soldiers – music, creative expression, humour, past lives and karmic destiny. It’s a new-age book for the novice and expert alike.

Ultimately, I don’t really care if Henry is real or a figment of Gordon’s creative imagination. I truly enjoyed this book. It made me laugh, it made smile, it made me think and above all it made death and eternity a little less of an issue. Since I started reading it I’ve been sending out calls to my Grandparents to see what they have to say, and beyond the dream I’ve had ever since my Grandmother died of sitting in a yellow kitchen drinking tea out of white china cups, and over-looking a field with a white horse outside the kitchen window, I haven’t heard a peep.

Whether dealing with loss, or just for pure interest sake, I highly recommend this book. Published by Hampton Roads Publishing Company, I purchased it from a small New Age Bookshop in my hometown for $24.95. Suspend your rational mind and just enjoy the tale. There’s only one way we’ll know if it’s true or not and I’m not in that much of a hurry to put it to the test.

Advertisements